We are on The Big Island of Hawaii this week. It took a 5 hour flight from LAX to Oahu and a quick sub-one-hour flight to Hawaii. He slept almost the entire time!!!!
Best tips I read and made up are:
1. Carry the baby in a carrier (we use Ergo) and check the carseat and stroller with your bags.
2. Pack LIGHT! Bring diapers for part of the trip and buy the rest there. We are on a 2 week trip so I didn’t want to pack that many diapers.
3. Bring a change of clothes for you, your companion and the baby in your carryon that will be a smaller roller suitcase. The diaper bag will be under the seat in front of you.
4. Pack toys that are new for the baby. I found this crinkle book at Walmart and he LOVES it. He only gets it on the plane.
5. Pack some Oxyclean for stain soaking at your destination.
6. Pack light! We only checked one large suitcase for the 3 of us. It is glorious!! We also had one diaper bag, a roller carryon, a carseat with base and a stroller (which we still have not opened-you may not even need one). Our airline (and most) did not charge to check in the carseat and stroller.
7. Nurse/feed the baby upon takeoff and landing to help with their ears adjusting to altitude changes. If the baby starts a fit during the flight, run to the bathroom! Luckily this didn’t happen but he did get fussy and my husband took him for a 20 minute slow saunter around the plane.
Get to the airport with plenty of time for diaper changes, feedings, getting food etc.
Nap when you can! I got in 2 power naps during the flight and had superhero strength to care for Grant when he was awake.
Traveling with a baby is a lot of work. I have to say that it is still super fun getting away and having little adventures. Even just watching movies in another bedroom is fun just like it was before having a baby.